Do you need a certificate accrediting your competence in Spanish? Well, you do not need to embark on an extensive research on exam possibilities as you would have to do for certificates in English or German. There is actually only one official and internationally recognised Diploma in Spanish, and soon you may start registering for the next exam on 21st August!
The DELE is the official qualification accrediting four levels of competence and command of the Spanish language:
- Diploma de Español Nivel A1 (Starter level): This qualification attests to sufficient linguistic ability for a very basic range of the most commonly simple expressions used in the Spanish-speaking world and in order to satisfy immediate needs of a concrete type.
- Diploma de Español Nivel B1 (Beginner level): This qualification attests to sufficient linguistic ability for understanding and responding appropriately in most normal day-to-day situations and for expressing desires and needs in a basic way.
- Diploma de Español Nivel B2 (Intermediate level): This qualification validates sufficient linguistic ability to get by in average day-to-day situations in normal communication circumstances, which do not require specialized use of the language.
- Diploma de Español Nivel C2 (Proficiency level): This qualification accredits the necessary linguistic competence to integrate in situations requiring an advanced use of the language and knowledge of the cultural customs embedded within it.
Benefits of holding a Diploma in Spanish as a Foreign Language (DELE)
Obviously, having a certification of your competence in any foreign language is useful, and in many cases, a must-have. Anyway, here is a list of important benefits listed by the Instituto Cervantes:
- It allows you to be officially accredited as competent in Spanish.
- It is the only official and internationally recognized diploma in Spanish.
- It is accepted by both private and public educational systems worldwide.
- It facilitates the process of obtaining a student visa to Spain.
- It is internationally recognized by corporations and chambers of commerce, thus furthering your professional career.
- It improves your possibilities of working or studying in Spain and Latin America.
- It enhances your CV when applying for MAEC – AECI scholarships (an annual scholarship program for foreign citizens aiming to study in Spain).
- It does not expire or have to be renewed.
Getting ready for the DELE exam
You can take a DELE preparation course in a group class at the accredited DELE examination centres or at any Spanish language school offering preparation courses. In Spain and Chile you will find TANDEM member schools which are either examination centres or which offer specially designed DELE preparation courses.
DELE exam preparation
You can also prepare online using the Aula Virtual de Español (AVE) resources. (click on “actividad de la semana”)
You may also take a look at sample exams from previous years.
Your next chance of sitting for the DELE exam in Spain and Chile
- Examination date: Friday 21st of August
- Countries: Chile, Spain (among other countries)
- Registration dates: from 13th July to 31st July, both inclusive.
The DELE is an affordable exam with prices ranging roughly from 30 to 170 €. There are different prices for each level, level 1A being the cheapest and C2 the most expensive.
There are also different fees applicable to each country in which the registration takes place.
You may search online for country fees.